North Carolina firefighter dies in blaze at own home
A Nantahala firefighter died in a fire at his own home early on Friday, according to Macon County Emergency Services officials.
Nantahala Volunteer Fire and Rescue was dispatched to Briartown Church Road in Topton just before 1 a.m., where they found the house engulfed in flames.
Firefighters extinguished the fire and found the body of Stephen McCoy, 36, inside the home.
- PUB DATE: 11/24/2014 12:00:00 AM - SOURCE: wbtv
Florida man sets house on fire, kills responding deputy
Tallahassee Police Officer Scott Angulo hugged residents along Caracus Court Sunday, sobbing as he stopped to talk in the driveway of a fire-gutted home.
A day earlier, a man set the home ablaze to lure first responders to the street so he could gun them down in an ambush that killed Leon County Deputy Christopher L.
- PUB DATE: 11/24/2014 12:00:00 AM - SOURCE: tallahassee democrat
South Carolina volunteer firefighters accused of setting fire to station; charged with attempted murder
Two volunteer firefighters were charged with attempted murder Tuesday night after they allegedly set fire to the Yemassee Fire Department and Town Hall building while two people were inside, according to police.
The men were former volunteers for the Yemassee department and were fired Wednesday from their volunteer positions with the Sheldon Fire District, authorities said.
- PUB DATE: 11/24/2014 12:00:00 AM - SOURCE: the state
As fire chief retires after salary cut, New York town looks for part-timer
Fire Chief Thomas J. Passuite said last week that his last day on the job will be Dec. 11. He is retiring after 34 years in the department, the last 20 as chief.
However, he would not rule out the possibility that he might return as the cityâ€™s new part-time fire chief.
â€śNobodyâ€™s approached me about it,â€ť he said.
- PUB DATE: 11/24/2014 12:00:00 AM - SOURCE: buffalo news
Hero Massachusetts Firefighter Suffers Heart Attack During Rescue
A Springfield, Massachusetts, firefighter suffered a heart attack this morning after rescuing a man from an apartment fire at an elderly housing complex on Roosevelt Ave. Springfield fire officials tell NECN that a man inside the apartment sparked the blaze when he lit a cigarette while using an oxygen tank.
- PUB DATE: 11/24/2014 12:00:00 AM - SOURCE: necn
Federal Government Finds Funds to Give Firefighters High-Speed Internet Everywhere
The federal government has raised more than enough money to build a nationwide communications network for first responders.
The network will help police, firefighters, and other public-safety officials from different agencies communicate with each other during emergencies. It is intended to handle high-speed data, so officials should be able to send photos and videos to each other, helping them coordinate their responses.
- PUB DATE: 11/21/2014 12:00:00 AM - SOURCE: national journal
Longtime New Jersey firefighter dies after responding to fire
Arthur E. â€śArtâ€ť Treon, whose name was synonymous with fire fighting and emergency management in the township, county, and state, died Wednesday night after leaving the scene of a fatal fire in North Wildwood.
Town Bank Fire Chief Lou McGonigal, a longtime friend, said Treon had gone to Tuesday nightâ€™s fire at 212 W.
- PUB DATE: 11/21/2014 12:00:00 AM - SOURCE: Cape May Gazette